We are a dementia friendly school.
Find out more by clicking on the Alzheimer's Society logo.
Read our most recent report
175 a year and counting - see where we've been recently
Choose from a wide variety of clubs and after school activities
Bernard Gilpin Primary School
Tyne & Wear
Tel: 0191 917 2999
Click here for further contact details and a map.
Come and join us...
You are visitor number...
Read the latest edition of our newsletter
Find out how to become a Dementia Friend
Bernard Gilpin was born at
Kentmere in Westmoreland, his
ancestral home for 400 years.
At the age of 16 years, in 1533,
he went to study at Queen’s
College Oxford and was
eventually elected a fellow of the
College and later, of
Christchurch. In 1552 he
became Vicar of Norton, at
the invitation of his uncle, Bishop Tunstall but resigned to travel and study on the continent. On his return he was made both Archdeacon of Durham and Rector of Easington, then Rector of Houghton. Here he stayed and refused preferment both to the Bishopric of Carlisle and the Provostship of Queen’s College, Oxford. It was his custom whilst at Houghton to preach in Northumberland in the Redesdale and Tynedale Valleys during the Christmas Holy days. He was reputed to have quelled a riot in Rothbury Church between two feuding families. At another church he is said to have preached against challenges, having found a Gauntlet hanging in the church.
A horse thief is said to have
returned Gilpin’s horses upon
discovering the identity of the
After preaching against
corruption before Bishop
Barnes of Durham, the Bishop
exclaimed that Gilpin was
better qualified to be Bishop
than he himself. Bernard Gilpin
spent a large proportion of his
income feeding and educating the poor. He maintained at least six scholars every year at Oxford. Pupils attending his school came not only from the locality but also form Redesdale and Tynedale. In setting up his school he enlisted the help of John Heath of Kepier, who doubled the original endowment. The charter for Kepier School was finally granted in 1574. Bernard Gilpin and John Heath were appointed Governors of the Free Grammar School and Almshouses of Kepier.
Bernard Gilpin suffered much ill-health in his final years after being knocked down by an ox in Durham Market Place. He died on the 4th of March 1583 at the age of 66 years.
The magnificent St Michael and All Angels Church dates back to Norman times and contains the tomb of Bernard Gilpin.
It stands just off The
Broadway in the centre of
Houghton and is the annual
venue for our Christmas Carol
Concert. Click on the crest to
find out more about the church's fascinating history.
Houghton is an Anglo-Saxon name meaning 'the high place'. In 1311 it is recorded that it belonged to a Lady Albreda who was the widow of a man called Henry Spring. The place is probably named after this family.
Source: "My Sunderland" by Simpson & Callaghan
In the first two weeks of October the town of Houghton-le-Spring holds an ancient festival - Houghton Feast. Dating back to the 12th century, it was a dedication festival to the parish church of St Michael & All Angels.
The format of the festival has changed over the years and now involves a fairground, fireworks, lights, parade and the roasting of an ox (to commemorate the feeding of the poor by Rector Bernard Gilpin).